Friday, August 25, 2006

Delhi


After an overnight bus trip from Srinagar I am in unbearably hot Delhi again. I bought some tools which will enable me to fix the bike for the flight.

Well, I guess it's over. I am extremly pleased with this quick tour. In short time I've crossed a range of natural sceneries, from the north Indian planes, transition sub-tropic forrests, Alpine-like scenaries, baren high altitude mountains, dry Ladakh and dramatic Kashmir. The cultures changed accordingly, although it was too fast to notice all the nuances.

This trip was a substitute for a retry of Kashgar-Lhasa crossing, which I couldn't make this year. However all the adventures that I experienced, the climbs and descends that I made and fantastic scenery all along this journey satisfied me enough that I don't consider the return trip to Tibet necessary any more.

For those (like me) who find cycling data useful, here they are: 15 cycling days, 1 rest day; averages per cycling day: 110 km, 7h 9min, 15.7 km/h, 1035m of climbing.

Some more information about this and other rides are here.

7 Comments:

At 9:01 PM , Blogger JD said...

Igor,

Congrats on finishing your trip. I'm glad you enjoyed it;) Rich

 
At 8:23 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some interesting travel tales here!

 
At 3:50 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks shirazi. It was fun keeping the blog on the trip. Next time I'll make a bigger effort to correct the spelling and grammar errors ;).

 
At 10:01 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I just did that trip by car, and i thought it was a tough (but utterly beautiful) one. what can I say you are a superhero for doing this by bike. My respect, and very nice work with the blog and the photos.

 
At 5:53 AM , Blogger "G" said...

I have been reading your blog from morning and plan this trip in August. I have a question.

How was mode of transport to transfer your bike from Srinagar to Delhi. Did you load it atop Bus or it was taken in a cargo hold in upright position ?

Thanks in Advance

 
At 7:40 AM , Blogger iik said...

Hi "G",

I put the bike on top of the bus. You have to tie it yourself, so bring a piece of rope of something like that.

Good luck, Igor

 
At 9:55 AM , Blogger "G" said...

Hi Igor,
Came back from Chandigarh to Leh- Khardung La trip on 10th this month. About 900 Km in 10 cycling dsys. Made it upto Khardung La on my 16.5 kg Bergamont Horizon 2.1.

Thanks to you for documenting your trip from Delhi to Khardung La trip so nicely. There were many take away's from your documented experience.

And yes weight does matter. Hence, after this trip, I am thinking of buying BTwin Triban 5. This bike is about 10kg. So, with rear rack overall weight is going to be 11-12 Kg. If I go in for a more upmarket bike about 1000 Euro's, then weight can come down by about l-1.5 Kg.

I have not made up my mind about Triban 5, as I am suspecting if these rims can take 30-622 tyres & overall quality of these wheels.

In India because of 52% import duty our affordability comes down.

Next year planning for Bhutan or North East Indian tour up to Nathu La.

Thanks Again!

== Prashant

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home